Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dusun language days for my kids !!

I feel that teaching Dusun language to my kids and hubby is one of my priority nowadays because i found out that they are really poor with it. I spoke mixed language ( malay + english + Dusun ) with them and i think it's not enough since they barely talk in Dusun though they understand it.




I ask my eldest son to answer me in Dusun language whenever I talk with them using Dusun but he said  " Mama, it's sound weird and funny ". Yet he did try talking in Dusun with me in the end after arguing with me. My 2nd son is the funniest one since he like to imitating me speaking in Dusun and then start asking me with his never ending question such as " why should he learn speaking in Dusun? ", " why he have to speak in dusun with his Odu?", " How come his mother, me can speak in Dusun very good?" and many more other question that will make me snapped at him sometimes.. I hope I can do better with my daughter and youngest son since they are still in early age and according to expert it's better if we teach them to excel in languages since early ages.

My husband is the worst because he refuse to speak in Dusun though he can understand it.. He said he is too old to start learning it but I know it's just an excuses since there is no limit in learning.. Maybe it's a bit difficult but if we keep on practice we can be good at it.. Hopefully i can persuade him to try speaking in Dusun sometimes with me. However i am proud because he did understand it..

As for me, I am still good with my Dusun language and I am very proud with it.. I want my kids to speak it because I don't want my mother tongue being forgotten by future generation.. Although my kids were not born in Sabah but my blood, Sabahan blood is in their blood and that make them one of Sabahan too.. I guess i need to be more persistent to courage my kids speak in Dusun.. For a start, i will fix some day in a week for dusun speaking only in my home so that my kids will know that i am serious with it.

Hopefully my kids can speak Dusun better after this...

1 comment:

  1. good effort! never forget one's mother tongue, its where our identity lies :)

    ReplyDelete

Million Thanks for Leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...