Monday, March 21, 2011

Bedtime Story : past, present & future

source : google Image
Hello readers!

Do you still remember all of those bedtime stories your mother told you when you were just a little kid? Well, I definitely still remember some local bedtime story or tangon that my mother used to tell me whenever I faced difficulties to sleep in Dusun language. Most of it was about a ordeal and experienced of  character named as anak-anak. My mother was not as educated as my father so she was unable to read all of those fairy tales books to me but I still loves to hear the her story. That was bedtime story during my years and I grown up listening to those local story before I was introduced to the fairy tales.

Me too read a bedtime stories to my kids sometimes but ashamedly I have to admit that I didn't told them the story I heard from my mother not because I don't want to but because I don't know how to tell it or more accurately I don't know how to translate it into English or Malay correctly.. I tried once but quit after my kids laugh on me over mistakenly used a wrong words.. Kids nowadays are smarter and their thousand question right after I finished reading those bedtime story sometimes choked me..(*sigh)

I wonder what kind of bedtime story will my kid read to their kid in future? Will local story and fairy tales still interest our future generation? No matter what, I hope our future generation will preserve the tradition of reading bedtime story because to me it is one of the effective way to get close to our children. It created a certain kind of biding time with our kids that might be lack in our hectic-pace future generation where time seem not quite enough to grasp their ambitious vision.



1 comment:

  1. Ahh...story-reading is one of the thing I've always wanted to to with my son. But being in my situation now, I always forget to practice it. I value this tradition. You should keep up with the practice with your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

Million Thanks for Leaving me a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...